When it comes to buying a home, it's important to know what you're looking for. Before you start your search, take some time to determine your must-haves – the features that are non-negotiable for you. This will help you narrow down your options and make the process of finding your dream home much smoother. Here are some things to consider when determining your must-haves:
- Location: Where do you want to live? Are you looking for a specific neighbourhood or part of town? Do you need to be close to work, family, or certain amenities? According to a recent survey by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA), location is the most important factor for homebuyers in Canada, with 84% of respondents saying it's very important or important.
- Size: How much space do you need? Do you need a certain number of bedrooms or bathrooms? According to the same CREA survey, the average size of a home purchased in Canada in 2020 was 1,823 square feet, with an average of 3.3 bedrooms and 2.4 bathrooms.
- Features: What specific features are important to you? Do you need a backyard or a garage? Would you like a fireplace or a finished basement? According to the CREA survey, the most commonly desired features among Canadian homebuyers are a backyard (51%), a garage (48%), and a fireplace (41%).
- Condition: How important is the condition of the home to you? Are you willing to take on a fixer-upper, or do you want a move-in ready property? According to the CREA survey, 79% of Canadian homebuyers are willing to do some renovations after they purchase a home.
- Budget: Finally, it's important to consider your budget when determining your must-haves. Some features may be more expensive than others, so it's important to prioritize and decide what you're willing to spend money on. According to the CREA survey, the average price of a home purchased in Canada in 2020 was $571,000.
Once you've determined your must-haves, make sure to communicate them clearly to your real estate agent. They can use this information to help you find properties that fit your criteria and save you time and effort in the search process.
By taking the time to determine your must-haves, you'll be able to focus your search and find a home that meets your needs and makes you happy. Whether you're looking for a specific location, size, feature, or condition, there's a home out there that's perfect for you.